It is possible to find many different free or paid SEO plugins on the market. However, Yoast SEO is one of the most trustworthy sources, and it is a 100% free.
Once that you have downloaded and installed Yoast SEO which is quite simple, you will have to set the plugin up.
How to Set up Yoast SEO
To begin, you should go to your site’s administrator dashboard and find the “SEO” option on the menu. Then, you should click on “General” which will lead you to the basic global SEO possibilities you can use.
Your Information: include your site´s name or an alternative name. You might also add if it is a company’s name or a person.
If you are using a company’s website, you would have the possibility of adding the company’s logo.
Webmaster Tools: the process is quite simple, and it is similar to all tools you want to use. You will need to follow these easy steps:
- Open your Search Console dashboard and select “Manage Property.” After that go to “Verify this site” from the box next to the site you’re adding Yoast to.
- Choose the “HTML Tag” verification option. Then take the site´s code and paste it into the Google Search Console box.
- Lastly, “save changes and go back to the Google Search Console dashboard and “Verify.”
Security: This section would be handy if multiple authors are working on the same page. If this box is left unchecked, it will allow an advanced segment to be visible in the Yoast toolbox that is shown on the page´s page editor. You only need to check the box to make sure it is fine, and you should not worry about it.
Titles & Metas: it can be found in the “SEO” option, and it is where you can decide how your site appears in SERPs. When you are in this section, you will see the “general” tab
General Tab: you can change the title display which will appear on all pages of the site.
Homepage: it will vary according to the webpage you are working on. You can edit your page from this section by clicking on the “editing the front page/blog.
Titles and meta descriptions: you will find basic templates for your titles and meta descriptions for your main page. You can use the variables, and the information you specified will be included automatically.
Date in Snippet Preview: this would be useful if you are making multiple postings, but if you do not make them so often, you would probably want to have it disabled.
Yoast SEO Meta Box: this is useful when dealing with multiple contributors because it prevents them from changing anything.
Archives: you have the choice of indexing your archive pages or disable them all together.
Social: This is a certain section. You need to add the URLs to the social media profiles (except Twitter that you only need the username). You can control the shared content on each social media like Facebook, Pinterest, Google +, among others.
XML Sitemaps: Yoast SEO automatically generates a sitemap, updates it as you add new content, and pings search engines when it’s updated.
Breadcrumbs: it helps the visitors to see links at the top of the page.
Permalinks: you can clean your URL structure up. Yoast explains it very clearly.
RSS: add content to posts when appearing in the feeds.
Search Console (Google Search Console) get verifications code to be able to connect Yoast to Google Search Console. In this way, you can avoid site errors and fix your dashboard.
Simple steps to do it:
- “Get Google Authorization Code.” Give Yoast SEO access to your Search Console account.
- Hit “Accept” to get a code to paste into the “Authenticate” box you see here.
- “Authenticate” and choose your site’s profile from the list.
- Hit “Save Profile.”
Tools: make a list of posts and pages to make it simpler to go through and make all changes at once.
Using Yoast SEO: choose “All Post” or All Pages” to have the list displayed of your posts and pages. There should be an “SEO” column on the right. It will show a dot that indicates how Yoast SEO rated your page.
- A gray dot means Yoast SEO doesn’t have any information available on that page,
- A green dot means the page is right,
- A red dot means there are some significant problems,
- And a yellow/orange dot means there’s room for improvement.
General: introduce focus keyword, and the plugin would look at the page content, title, URL, meta description, heading and it will let you know the targeted keyword.
Page Analysis: feedback based on your activity, if you need to include or modify any aspect of the page.
Meta Robot Advanced: change settings for meta robots and sitemaps or set a 301 redirect URL.
- NO ODP: Stops search engines from using alternative site descriptions from ODP/DMOZ.
- NO YDIR: Stops search engines from using site descriptions from Yahoo! Directories.
- No Archive: Stops search engines from having a cached version of your page.
- No Snippet: Stops search engines from using a snippet of content in SERPs.
Social: this section would shape your idea for social media. Try to make it appealing for people to look at and to stand out from the rest of the pages.
Publish is the last step of the process. You can schedule a post, change your privacy by releasing the post. Then you will get a Yoast SEO rate that post or page as a whole.
After following all these steps and suggestions, you are ready to make your site as search engine-friendly as possible.
If you’re looking to optimize your site and need help, you can contact us. If you want to learn more about how to write SEO articles. Check out this post: What is Cornerstone SEO.